Friday, October 14, 2011

Indigo Girls - Beacon Theater, Oct 13, 2011

Now I feel for those people who have to write a review on events the minute after they're done. For people who have those kind of writing jobs. I feel sorry for them and at the same time, am also in awe - that some of them do it real well, give an impartial feedback, and write a spade a spade. I am also amazed by people who know exactly what they feel and are able to write about it well. I know a couple of acquaintances who could write a 1000 word literary analysis in 20 minutes flat. These are the people who have fun the rest of the time and crank out a thesis paper in just one night and graduate magna cum laude. I for one can't even write a yelp review about what I ate last night at a new restaurant (which I didn't).

So this is quite an chore. But as part of my recent self-imposed self-disciplining, and month of doing things other than destruction, this is going to be it. Also, this is the first time ever I went to Beacon Theater, so now that's crossed off my bucket list. Should've instead gone to see Donald Fagen of Steely Dan, or Dream Theater the previous night, but meh, tix were beyond me after taxes. And I'm saving for the Evanescence concert. The sacrifices we make. Life sucks.

But a change nonetheless. (Always wanted to use 'nonetheless' in a sentence.) Ok, enough putting off the actual review part.

Hmm. Not bad for a couple of middle-aged, homely ladies. I got into Indigo (i.e., heard their songs) only a couple of years ago, when I realized I had no 'happy-ish' songs in my collection, songs you can have a good time playing on your stoop and have people stop by and sing along. (other than Plastic Jesus). And I don't like country music. Folksy ballads I can take for 2 hours at a stretch, which I did last night. But hey, it is pretty amazing how synchronized their guitar playing is. And how you can still sound real good minus drums. Perfect harmonies, great acoustics. Not the foot stomping kind of music, but melodies you can sit and listen to in those plush seats. No pressure to stand up all the time and wave your hands. Just sit and clap (though that reminds me of being in a Southern Baptist church). And sip a cocktail, while looking at the chord changes (yes I was right in front, orchestra center). That's the point. An evening of relaxation, which again, self-imposed, trying not to give in to the urge to keep moving. Sure I could've stayed home, kicked up my feet and listened to Velvet Underground all night, but then I do that everyday.

Now I liked the singing, the guitar playing, they sounded real good- just like on the record if you have a good sound system. And quite fun in a quiet way, without the raging, or death wish lyrics. Amy Ray's alto blends real well with Emily Salier's sweeter tone, but then we all know that. They played a couple of songs from their new album Beauty Queen Sister - a strange (boring) song about horses or whatever (Feed and Water the Horses I think), another about their neighbor John, and the title (eponymous) song. Maybe more. Oh one song I can't recall - they resolved it like 4 times, each time the audience clapping, and they started over - so when the song actually got done, people hesitated. What a riot! (in my head of course). You shouldn't make asses of people who pay hard-earned money to see your show, either be good at creating anticipation and the unexpected, but don't trick them. Anyway, their old hits drew people to their shuffling feet - Hammer and Nail, Get Out the Map (now that was good), Shame on You, and some more that I don't know the names of. And of course they ended the show with Closer To Fine. Tamaam, as my folks would say.

Overall, a good show which didn't drive me to do whatever I'm driven to do. As expected.

Now I see I didn't mention anything about the opening band Shadowboxers. Well... kind of pop-ish, but again good harmonizing. Nothing got stuck in my head, and the audience's response was...American. Tepid, correct, polite.

So that's it. About the show. About the theater itself, well, it's ornate and pretty. Excellent acoustics. Water costs 5 bucks. Martini was $19. Well, it's not everyday you go there.

No comments: