Wednesday, April 12, 2006

About Instructional Design and Cell Phones

What do learners want? Accuracy of content, attractive user interface, functionality, usability, all of the above, none of the above? Maybe what we need to do is a survey - NOT what they want, there are plenty of figures and percentages floating around; but about what cell phones they use (or given a choice would they use one).

Disclaimer: The author is proud to flaunt his/ her ignorance about cell phone specifics. Don't know a damn thing about my phone other than it rings and beeps.

Think about the number of cell phone models in today's market. Then think about the expiry date for these. Now think about the number of people who carry around the latest models AND say 'The first Nokia (some ancient model) I owned was the best,(long sigh), they don't make phones like that anymore'. Ask them why, and here's what you'd hear:

1. Man, it was a weapon, if someone makes a wrong move, I could knock 'em down flat with my phone. Potential assaulter immobilised, hehe.
(Note, most delicate young things state this reason first. I have yet to meet a young thing who's put this in action. Reader, if u do, let me know if mobile was functional post-immobilising creeps).

2. Life was simple. People used phones to talk to people and in some cases, text them to let 'em know ur waitin', late, or playin' dead. Now I can take photographs of the lust of my life without him/ her knowing, transfer data from my office comp, and so on... but hey, i could get photographed too, my data could be stolen...damn.

3. Usability. Bigger screen size, font size, keypad size,...phone size. Enough about sizes. But my mother knows exactly when I need money for bills, she can't say 'honey i couldn't read ur message.'

4. Strength. These days the cell phones are so flimsy, I got 2 replacements in as many months...yes, I keep dropping it(and yes, I have money too, thank god). My old phone, I could throw it in frustration, and it would work, it still works (yes, I have it, no point selling). Also refer point 1.

Now over to those dudes and dudettes and hip and happening aunties, uncles and spoilt kids with the latest gizmos, about why they love their phones and not think twice about bartering their loves for the price of a kiss and more:

1. Its cool, here, take a look.
(...yeaaah, okkaay)

2. I can download books, music, cindy crawford, and whatever else.

(Books? I carry mine with me too, in my bag, four books, infact. Can you store 4 books?Alright, that day may come too... I'll just get a bigger bag.

Music...hmm can you listen to music, read your book, and make a call from your cell all at the same time?

Cindy Crawford? I have a door-size poster of Clint Eastwood who watches me eat, sleep and whatever else).


3. I get bored fast, I need a new handset every 2 weeks.

(Its a phone for gods sake, I get to replace better things when I get bored, what do you have, same contact list on a different interface? I get new contacts).


Let's now get to instructional design. Finally. For those people with preferences for old but reliable, good looking but inefficient, aesthetic and functional, minimalistic, jazzy and so on phones.

There is no standard.(and you thought I was goin to let you on to something profound?) Somebody take this survey and I'll interpolate and map it for elearning. Different phones for different folks. But then here's a start with the cliched, overused question...

1. What is your objective? Is it:

a. Just to teach core skills? (to phone or not to phone, that is the question)

b. To present content in a logical manner, just where the learner would expect it, no surprises? (usability, functionality and content sequencing - your easy access to your contact list. Also, its all about sizes - fonts mind you).

c. To attract your learners to go thru your course atleast on a 'Click Next' basis, not much focus on content? (Its all about looks honey...hey what's that feature called "Extras' for?)

d. To present and teach stuff, that is, create a visually appealing, usable, functional and relevant experience? (aah the killer, you can't please everyone all the time - is there a phone where I can select the features that I would want to use and delete the rest?)

Now that's it. To create a course with a blend of functionalities, levels of interactivity that the learner can opt for, color schemes for interfaces (not everyone loves black, but then you'd be surprised), content, I could go on - everything optional.
To learn or unlearn thru elearning... atleast I don't have to kneel down for hours outside my class for not completing that assignment.

Final word: I would love to throw my cell phone, but if I got to inform someone about my impending suicide, just don't let my network be jammed. Who cares what cell phone I use?

No comments: