Thursday, July 14, 2011

Need for speed

Not the drug, not the old racing game, but just the noun or verb for rapidity in motion. I hate going at a slow pace...it's like being stuck on a C train as the A passes me by. (I mean the express A of course, so this example isn't applicable on weekends).

Waiting for someone to finish a sentence is torture. Might as well not speak, like me. If you've got nothing to say, and don't, then it's fine. Which is why I rather go places, bars and all, alone. Sure timing is everything, when it comes to telling a joke, a story, etc., and doing other things, but the point is, when it's done well, a moment doesn't feel wasted.

Wasted time. Waiting for someone to call, speak, mail, when you expect everything to have been done a week before...arrgh, why does no one realize that time is killing them, instead of the other way round? But I guess, since time is just a construct of the mind and our personal clocks tick-tock differently, I should be more amenable to this tardiness.

NO. Why should I, when there is a constant 24 hour day the last I heard?  Oh Burnt Norton...

Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past.
If all time is eternally present...

And whatever that means. 

I am now analyzing the reasons for this rant about slowness. Here's what I've come up with so far:
1. I wasted a good portion of my short life doing nothing interesting... (maybe not, but it feels that way).
2. My brain works slow, so I move fast. The faster I move, I can escape this reality.
3. If I move slow, I could miss the action happening somewhere other than where I am. 
...

The truth (however relative) is, this need to move fast hits when the moment is shared / linked with someone else. I eat, drink, walk faster when there is someone around... most times, the other person seems boring to me; or I feel I'm boring them, and when the latter feeling arises, I move even faster. (See, at least I care enough not to waste their time. Pat on back.) The anomaly is when boredom doesn't set in... rare, but yeah it does happen. Then I hang around, stop and stare, smell the roses or whatever. 

But for now, time not spent doing something I like is wasted time. The truth (for real now) is that right now I'm waiting for someone to mail me something regarding work, but from past experience, this person has no concept of time. Sure they have more interesting or important things to do. 

Not good enough. I'm the one always left in the lurch. 

...And then one day you'll find, 
Ten years have got behind you,
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun...

Sigh .... I understand you Floyd, and more than 10 years have got behind me since I first heard this song...

 

No comments: